Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A tall glass of...



Milk is a movie about a man named Harvey Milk who became the first openly gay man to be elected to political office. Sean Penn a great performance in that he makes us forget that he is Sean Penn and we feel as if we are watching Harvey Milk acting out his own life.

Harvey Milk was a man who saw things as they could be. He ran for office in an area that had a quickly growing gay population and he used his office to change the nation, a nation questioning it's own stance on homosexuality.

The thing that saddened me most about Harvey Milk, his story and this movie is that we have certain expectations of our real life heroes. I found myself at the end of this movie almost hoping for his assassination, because I understood that for his story to really change this nation he had to become a martyr. That didn't stop me from feeling deep sadness when I saw what I expected in his assassination.

This country is a better place for Harvey Milk having lived and decided that he could and would change things.

No comments:

Post a Comment